Nothing like being "Between the Hedges" at
Georgia's Sanford Stadium
With a $25 million expansion completed in 2003 and another $8 million in 2004, Sanford Stadium added a second upper deck on the north side and 27 new north side SkySuites bringing the new stadium capacity to 92,746--the sixth largest on-campus stadium in the country.
|Filled on Saturdays to its 92,746 capacity, Sanford Stadium has long been one of the country's most beautiful and electrifying arenas for college football. Georgia's average home attendance consistently ranks in the top|
five in the country among on-campus stadium venues.
Sanford Stadium is widely known as the greatest spectator stadium in the South and surrounded by its famous hedges, Georgia's home field is one of the legendary facilities in college football.
It even attained world status in 1996 when the home of the Bulldogs hosted the soccer competition of the Centennial Olympic Games -- seen by more than 3 billion people around the world via television.
Named for the late Dr. S. V. Sanford, former president of the University and Chancellor of the University system, Georgia's Sanford Stadium celebrated its 75th anniversary in 2004. An overflow crowd of 30,000 saw the stadium's first game on October 12, 1929, when Yale University made its only trip South. Georgia won the now famous game when a young sophomore end from Macon, Vernon "Catfish" Smith, scored all 15 of the Bulldogs' points. Final score, Georgia 15, Yale 0.
Through the years, the stadium has experienced various expansion projects. In 1940, lights were added to the field level paving the way to the first Sanford Stadium night game, a 7-7 tie between Georgia and Kentucky on October 26, 1940.
Eventually, the East end of the stadium was enclosed, more lights added, and the capacity increased to 82,122. The 1991 project cost the University Athletic Association $3.7 million and enclosed the West end. The price tag was rather hefty, considering that the original price to build the stadium was a mere $360,000.
Legendary Sanford Stadium added yet another chapter to its history by hosting the medal round of the 1996 Olympic men's and women's soccer competition watched via television by over 3 billion people around the world.