This exclusive Circle of Honor recognizes and pays tribute to extraordinary student-athletes and coaches who, by their performance and conduct, have brought honor and glory to the University and to themselves, and who by their actions have contributed to the tradition and legend of the Georgia Bulldogs.
Circle of Honor Nomination Procedure
Nominations for the Circle of Honor may be submitted by any individual. Nomination letters and supporting material should be submitted to the current head coach of the sport represented by the nominee. All nominations will be researched by the sports information director, and if the nominee meets appropriate criteria, the athletic director will forward the nomination to the selection committee to meet in March. Honorees are selected by a committee consisting of coaches, administrators, faculty and alumni and chaired by the director of athletics.
MINIMUM CRITERIA FOR STUDENT-ATHLETE NOMINATION
1. Student-athlete must receive degree from the University of Georgia and is eligible for nomination after a minimum of ten years following completion of eligibility.
2. Must have completed athletic eligibility at the University of Georgia (may not have transferred to, and competed at, any other institution after competing at the University of Georgia.)
3. Must have made a profound and/or extraordinary impact on his or her team, athletic program and the University of Georgia while attending the University in addition to:
A. Being named an All-American in the respective sport with priority given to consensus All-Americans and/or being elected to a National Sports Hall of Fame.
B. In sports with both individual and team competition (gymnastics, track and field, tennis, swimming, and golf), the nominees must have won an NCAA individual national championship (to include AIAW) or been named NCAA Player of the Year or a member of a team national championship or have been an Olympic medalist or been named Academic All-American of the Year for All Sports or have been named NCAA Woman of the Year.
4. In addition to the above minimum criteria, the nominee must have also exhibited extraordinary levels of excellence which have brought uncommon distinction to his or their sport and to the University of Georgia.
MINIMUM CRITERIA FOR COACH NOMINATION
1. Former coach is eligible for nomination after a minimum of five years following coaching tenure and/or subsequent administrative position at the University or have reached the age of 70.
2. Must have served as head coach at the University for a minimum of ten years
3. Must have completed coaching career at the University of Georgia (may not have coached at an other institution after coaching at the University of Georgia.)
4. Must have made a profound and/or extraordinary impact on his or her team, athletic program, and the University of Georgia while coaching at the University in addition to serving as head coach of a national championship team or being named national coach of the year.
5. In addition to the above minimum criteria, the nominee must have also exhibited extraordinary levels of excellence which have brought uncommon distinction to his or her sport and to the University of Georgia
|George Bezecny, Inducted 2006 |
Four year men's tennis lettermen (1982-85)
All-America honors; All-SEC
Zeke Bratkowski, Inducted 2006
John Carson, Inducted 2003
Mike Castronis, Inducted 2003
Spurgeon “Spud” Chandler, Inducted 2000
Lisa Coole, Inducted 1999
Dick Copas, Inducted 2006
Vince Dooley, Inducted 2004
Teresa Edwards, Inducted 1996
Janet Harris, Inducted 2002
William C. “Bill” Hartman, Inducted 1999
Terry Hoage, Inducted 2001
Alec Kessler, Inducted 2000
Angela Lettiere, Inducted 2005
|Dr. Tom Lyons, Inducted 1999 |
FB All-American, 1969, ‘70
1995 NCAA Silver Ann. Award
Katrina McClain, Inducted 1998
Dan Magill, Inducted 1996
Bob McWhorter, Inducted 1996
Terri Moody Luckhurst, Inducted 1997
Allen Miller, Inducted 1998
Zippy Morocco, Inducted 2002
Reid Patterson, Inducted 1997
George Patton, Inducted 2002
Priscilla Pacheco, Inducted 2006
John Rauch, Inducted 2001
Herb St. John, Inducted 2004
Cindy Schreyer, Inducted 2003
Frank Sinkwich, Inducted 1996
Royce Smith, Inducted in 2007
Vernon “Catfish” Smith, Inducted 1998
Hope Spivey, Inducted 2007
Bill Stanfill, Inducted 2000
Heather Stepp, Inducted 2006
Fran Tarkenton, Inducted 1998
Sheila Taormina, Inducted 2004
Forrest “Spec” Towns, Inducted 1997
Charley Trippi, Inducted 1996
Lucy Wener, Inducted 2000
Jim Wilson, Inducted 2005
Scott Woerner, Inducted 2003
Corrinne Wright, Inducted 2005
Ben Zambiasi, Inducted 2007