Cheerleading Tryout Information
Tryouts are held twice a year; Varsity in the Spring and JV in the Fall. For additional information or questions about tryouts, please contact Coach Libby Langenderfer (email@example.com).
The Varsity cheerleading squad is a co-ed squad that cheers for all home football games and home men's and women's basketball games. Varsity squad members also have the privilege of traveling to away football games and any post-season football or basketball tournaments. The squad is also expected to represent the University at local events throughout the year. The University of Toledo is fortunate to grant scholarships to their cheerleaders. All cheerleaders on the Varsity squad are awarded a partial scholarship each semester for their dedication and commitment to the squad. Tryouts for Varsity are held in April.
The JV cheerleading squad is a co-ed squad that cheers for all home football games and home men’s and women’s basketball games. JV squad members are expected to represent the University at local events throughout the year. JV tryouts are held in the Fall.
2015-2016 JV Tryout Information
When: Sunday, August 23rd (7:00 – 8:30pm) & Tuesday, August 25th (7:00 – 9:30pm)
Where: Fetterman Gym (south side of Savage Arena)
What to Bring: You will need to bring the following with you to the first day of tryouts:
Proof of physical showing athletic clearance, completed within the last 6 months
Proof of acceptance into University of Toledo (or Rocket card if current student)
What to Wear: At the University of Toledo, appearance and image are very important to our program. You are directly representing the University of Toledo. All males and females are expected to present themselves in a collegiate and professional manner at all times. We are looking for the “All-American” cheerleader. At tryouts, those trying out are expected to:
· Females: All girls are to look “game ready”. Game day make-up, including appropriate blush and lipstick, should be worn. Hair should be half-up, half-down with a bow. Please refrain from use of any glitter. All females will wear a tank top or double sports bra for tryouts (no t-shirts or other loose fitting tops will be permitted) and cheer/spandex shorts. Clothing should consist of UT colors (navy, gold, white, gray) and white cheer shoes should be worn. No jewelry of any sort is permitted.
· Males: Please be clean cut and clean shaved. All males will wear a combination of UT colors (navy, gold, white, gray) and wear shorts and a t-shirt. Please refrain from wearing cut-off shirts.
What to Expect: Skill-based cuts will be made throughout tryouts.
- Stunts: All stunts are performed on a mat with a spotter.
- Stunting experience is preferred but not required. We will be looking for body control, ability to take and apply feedback, and overall potential.
- Tumbling: Females
1. Standing: standing back tuck (performed on hard wood), back handspring tuck, cartwheel tuck, toe touch tuck – all with poms
2. Running: round-off back handspring layout, optional pass
3. All tumbling will be done on a non-spring floor mat (with the exception of the standing back tuck – basketball court) without spotters
- Tumbling: Males. No tumbling experience required
- Sideline & Band Dance
- Females will learn a sideline and band dance to assess crowd leading skills, motions, vocal projection and overall collegiate showmanship.
- Each finalist will have an interview with the coaches.
Please consider the time commitment associated with joining the University of Toledo cheerleading squad before trying out. We practice Tuesday evening, Thursday evenings and certain Sunday mornings during the school year in addition to a full game schedule during both football and basketball seasons. You MUST be able to honor this time commitment to remain on the squad.
Academics are the primary reason for attending the University of Toledo. It is important that you do well academically by maintaining an appropriate GPA throughout your degree program. Cheerleaders must be enrolled as a full time student (12 credit hours per semester). All cheerleaders must maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA (first year squad members will need to earn a 2.5 GPA). If the minimum GPA cannot be maintained, you will be released from the squad to focus on your academics.