Cheerleading Tryout Information
Tryouts are held twice a year; Varsity in the Spring and JV in the Fall. For additional information or questions about tryouts, please contact Coach Libby Langenderfer (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The Varsity cheerleading squad is a co-ed squad that cheers for all home football games and home men's and women's basketball games. Varsity squad members also have the privilege of traveling to away football games and any post-season football or basketball tournaments. The squad is also expected to represent the University at local events throughout the year. The University of Toledo is fortunate to grant scholarships to their cheerleaders. All cheerleaders on the Varsity squad are awarded a partial scholarship each semester for their dedication and commitment to the squad. Tryouts for Varsity are held in April.
2015-2016 Varsity Tryout Information
When: Saturday, April 11th (5:00 – 8:30pm) & Sunday, April 12th (10:00am – 4:00pm).
Where: Fetterman Gym (South side of Savage Arena)
Pre-Tryout Clinics: We will offer pre-tryout clinics to those interested in cheering at the University of Toledo. The clinics give potential squad members a chance to meet, stunt and tumble with the current UT cheerleaders and meet the coaches. Dates/times are:
3/1 10am – 12pm I 3/22 10am – 12pm I 4/7 7pm – 9pm I 4/9 7pm – 9pm
*NOTE: The March dates are subject to cancellation due to post-season basketball tournaments. Follow our Twitter account (@UTcheerleading) for clinic update announcements.
Please email Coach Libby Langenderfer (email@example.com) to reserve your spot at the pre-tryout clinics. While clinics are open to parents and supporters, tryouts will be closed to anyone not trying out for the squad.
What to Bring: For those attending any of the pre-tryout clinics and/or tryouts, you will need to bring the following:
Proof of physical showing athletic clearance, completed within the last 6 months
Proof of acceptance into University of Toledo (or Rocket card if current student)
What to Wear: At the University of Toledo, appearance and image are very important to our program. You are directly representing the University of Toledo. All males and females are expected to present themselves in a collegiate and professional manner at all times. We are looking for the “All-American” cheerleader. At tryouts, those trying out are expected to:
- Females: All girls are to look “game ready”. Game day make-up, including appropriate blush and lipstick, should be worn. Hair should be half-up, half-down with a bow. Please refrain from use of any glitter. All females will wear a tank top or double sports bra for tryouts (no t-shirts or other loose fitting tops will be permitted) and cheer/spandex shorts. Clothing should consist of UT colors (navy, gold, white, gray) and white cheer shoes should be worn. Any apparel that says Toledo Cheerleading should not be worn. No jewelry of any sort is permitted.
- Males: Please be clean cut and clean shaved. All males will wear a combination of UT colors (navy, gold, white, gray) and wear shorts and a t-shirt. Please refrain from wearing cut-off shirts. Any apparel that says Toledo Cheerleading should not be worn. No jewelry of any sort is permitted.
What to Expect: Skill-based cuts will be made on Saturday. Sunday is the final tryout in front of a panel of judges. A team meeting will follow immediately following the announcement of the 2015-2016 squad.
- Stunts: All stunts are performed on a mat with a spotter. Ladies must use poms.
- Walk-in extension, pop down
- Toss hands, heel stretch, full twisting cradle
- Stunt Sequence (will be provided the Saturday of tryouts)
- Standing: standing back tuck (performed on hard wood), back handspring tuck, cartwheel tuck, toe touch tuck – all with poms
- Running: round-off back handspring layout, optional pass
- All tumbling will be done on a non-spring floor mat (with the exception of the standing back tuck – basketball court) without spotters.
- All skills listed are the minimum skill requirements asked at tryouts.
- It is highly encouraged for males to show a standing back tuck, even if it’s with a spot.
- All males with series tumbling will have an opportunity to show a tumbling pass on a non-spring floor mat without a spotter.
- Sideline & Band Dance
- Females will learn a sideline and band dance to assess crowd leading skills, motions, vocal projection and overall collegiate showmanship.
- Each finalist will have an interview with the coaches. This should be treated as a job interview and taken seriously.
The JV cheerleading squad is a co-ed squad that cheers for all home football games and home men’s and women’s basketball games. JV squad members are expected to represent the University at local events throughout the year. JV tryouts are held in the Fall. Detailed tryout requirements and dates will be posted on our website following the conclusion of Varsity tryouts.
Please consider the time commitment associated with joining the University of Toledo cheerleading squad before trying out. We practice Tuesday evening, Thursday evenings and certain Sunday mornings during the school year in addition to a full game schedule during both football and basketball seasons. You MUST be able to honor this time commitment to remain on the squad.
Academics are the primary reason for attending the University of Toledo. It is important that you do well academically by maintaining an appropriate GPA throughout your degree program. Cheerleaders must be enrolled as a full time student (12 credit hours per semester). All cheerleaders must maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA (first year squad members will need to earn a 2.5 GPA). If the minimum GPA cannot be maintained, you will be released from the squad to focus on your academics.