SACRAMENTO, Calif. – They battled back from deficit multiple times, but eventually ran out of gas, as the men of Idaho tennis fell to Weber State, 4-3, in the Big Sky Championship match.
"We fought well, just not well enough," said head coach Abid Akbar. "I hope the boys have their heads held high because I'm proud of them."
Jackson Varney and Artem Vasheshnikov were solid at first singles, winning 6-2, but Weber State would take the point after winning at both second and third.
Idaho got back into things immediately, winning the first two singles points. Mark Kovacs handled business at third singles, winning 6-4, 6-4. Varney was dominant at fourth singles, defeating Hou-En Chen, 6-2, 6-2.
Odon Barta picked up another point for the Vandals at first singles, winning 6-0, 7-5, and putting Idaho back in the lead at 3-2.
Felipe Fonseca fell in his opening set, 6-1, but forced a third set by winning the second, 6-4. Fonseca got down early in the third and could not recover, falling 6-2.
Lucas Coutinho also showed a ton of heart, forcing a third set after falling in the first. He hung in for the third set, but eventually fell 6-4.
To stay current on all Vandal Athletics visit GoVandals.com, or follow the Vandals on Twitter, @Idaho_Vandals.
Fans can stay up-to-date on all things Idaho men’s tennis by following the team on Twitter @VandalsTennis.
1. Jackson Varney/Artem Vasheshnikov def. Stefan Cooper/Sanjay Goswami – 6-2
2. Todd Fought/Jakub Gewert def. Odon Barta/Felipe Fonseca – 6-4
3. Landon Barlow/Hou-En Chen def. Lucas Coutinho/Mark Kovacs – 6-3
1. Odon Barta def. Jakub Gewert – 6-0, 7-5
2. Todd Fought def. Felipe Fonseca – 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
3. Mark Kovacs def. Stefan Cooper – 6-4, 6-4
4. Jackson Varney def. Hou-En Chen – 6-2, 6-2
5. Landon Barlow def. Artem Vasheshnikov – 6-4, 6-0
6. Sanjay Goswami def. Lucas Coutinho – 6-4, 2-6, 6-4